Put Carbon Monoxide Detectors in the Basement

Here on Chicago's North Shore the local codes requires Carbon Monoxide Detectors to be placed within 20 feet of all bedrooms in the home. But if you live in a single-family home with the hot-water heater, and furnace or boiler, in the basement, I think it's best to also place a Detector close to the bottom of the stairs as they exit the basement. It just makes sense because the gas-fired appliances that produce carbon monoxide – a gas which you can't taste, can't smell and can't see - is most likely released in the basement. Think of the Carbon Monoxide Detector in the basement as an early warning detection device to keep you and your family safe from harm.